Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Smelly Beautiful Feet

Would you rather, smell Jim's feet after he runs 10 miles OR run 10 miles??? 
Very rarely do my feet smell good.  

Often times after a long run OR after my feet simmer in my TOMS, they find themselves emitting odors that have those nearby gasping for air.  
Resting my stinky feet in the middle of a long run
In fact, earlier today, I was walking around with my shoes off, and in the middle of a conversation my wife stopped what she was saying and asked me to move away.
  
I would say my feet are not beautiful.  They have callouses, blisters, odors and much more.  

A blister on my feet after a 50-mile run
Many who know me, know my faith is very important to me.  I love to have conversations about faith and spirituality.  I especially enjoy dialogue with others of different faiths.  

For me, I'm a follower of Jesus Christ.  I find myself reading the Bible, what followers of Jesus call "The Inspired Word of God."  There is a passage from this ancient text that resonates with the "runner" and "advocate" in me.  It is found in the Book of Isaiah, chapter 52, verse 7.  From the English Standard Version (ESV) it reads:
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, "Your God reigns."
This verse fascinates and intrigues me.  The author writes about feet and the actions that make them beautiful.

It's as if the saying, "Beautiful feet" is a metaphor involving a movement towards things that are of the Divine.

If this is the case, it doesn't matter if your feet literally smell, you could still be a person with metaphorical beautiful feet.
  
I think about the options and choices we are presented with every single day; for example, to be a person with beautiful feet or to be a person with ugly smelly feet.  You see, our actions can bring good news, through our words and deeds.  If we go up to a person and punch them in the face that would NOT be a "beautiful feet" action.  However, if we were to go up to a person and give them a hug that would be a "beautiful feet" action.  

During the Awake My Sole journey, I've wrestled with this ancient biblical text, and will continue to wrestle with it.  It's challenging and I don't have it figured out.

What are your thoughts after reading the biblical text found in Isaiah?
How does this metaphor apply to your life?  

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas, please add a comment.  

Let's wrestle with this together.    

:::Some more FEET pics from the AMS journey:::

After running in some stinky mud
In the middle of a run.  Resting my feet
My feet after running is summer humid conditions.  Super wrinkly and smelly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment