Friday, January 18, 2013

Chariots of Fire --- with all my "sole"

Most people want to discover their meaning and purpose in life.  Not often do you hear someone say, "I don't want to find meaning and purpose in my life."

Some people may unintentionally live in a way that is perceived not meaningful and purposeful, or perhaps it's meaningful and purposeful in a way that is foreign to others.

For someone who dislikes running, they wouldn't find running for a year a meaningful and purposeful endeavor, probably more of a tedious and grueling task.

The tasks we perform, hobbies we pursue and talents we discover, what if they were deemed meaningful and purposeful because it keeps us from being aimless?  Almost as if we were created to work.  Hopefully we are working towards something good, right?  Towards something that makes this world a better place.


I'm sitting in my room, after a year of running and speaking, listening to an appropriate movie soundtrack:


I'm also reflecting on a writing found in the Book of Matthew, chapter 12:
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all they mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.  On these two commandments hand all the law and the prophets."
If I was to paraphrase this passage, the runner in me translates "soul" to "sole."

Where do you find meaning and purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment