Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"That motivational speaker was dumb"


This last week, I enjoyed my time in Ames Iowa.  A great community with some wonderful people.


A Bicycle was my mode of transportation for the week.  I love riding a bike after running a long distance, it really helps my legs feel good, and gets them moving in some good ways.


Wednesday was my busy day for speaking.  Was able to speak a total of 10 times at both the Ames Middle School, and then at the First Evangelical Church of Ames.

Was blessed with meeting a lot of new people.  By the end of the day, my body was tired.  You could tell in my voice, it was strained, and I sounded like an old-raspy man.


:::An awkward interaction I had with a student at the Middle School:::

I had just finished speaking at the middle school, and I had to return the Visitor Badge to the front office.  Because I rode a bike to the school, I then went to the bike rack which was behind the school.  I was unlocking my bike, next to a student who was also unlocking his bike.

He didn't notice I was right next to him.  He was conversing with his buddy, and he said, "That motivational speaker was dumb."

It caught me off guard, because I spent the whole day there, and heard many encouraging things from students, so I had spoke up and said, "I was dumb?"

He turned around, and was totally caught off guard.

He quickly responded, "I didn't mean that."

It was a bit awkward for him, and fun for me.

He felt really bad for what he had said, and apologized.  I told him not to worry about it.

I am aware there are some students & adults who wont connect with the Awake My Sole message, and they don't have to, its not for everyone.

My goal in speaking is to INSPIRE others to DISCOVER, DO & INTEGRATE their abilities in to their life.  My hope is they leave "asking questions" about the direction of their life.

I rode my bike back to my host home that afternoon being okay with knowing a student didn't care for the words I shared, but at least it got him thinking.

Running with purpose in every step...

Jim


Here are a few more pics I was able to take during my time in Ames.  Thanks to Grandpa Jim for allowing me to use his bike.  That bike allowed me to get around.







TOP BLOG POSTS HERE

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great post Jim. When I treat patients I know some patients probably walk away thinking that PT is dumb. I've come to accept, like you did, that it is my job to sow the seeds and let God do the rest. I sow seeds of improving movement and health, while you are sowing seeds of encouragement to discover, do and integrate. Ultimately it is up to each of us to decide if we will open ourselves up to new things and allow seeds to grow or if we will be the hard rocky soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know, Jim. You may have just changed that kid's life. He may thinkabout that encounter for the rest of his life s the point when he decided to be intentional about everything he says.

    ReplyDelete