Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Finding consistency while traveling for a year...

Each week I run to a new community.

Each community is different, unique and exciting.   

In each community I learn how things function and work.  How people interact.  

Just when I feel like I'm settled in, the Awake My Sole journey requires of me to move onward.

As I move onward, amidst the ever changing landscape of new Iowa communities, there are a few things I travel with to help bring consistency to my life.

I would like to share some of them with you:

My Quilt  
This quilt was handcrafted by Amy.  She made it after I announced I would be stepping down from my middle school director position at Sunnybrook Community Church.  It is made out of old t-shirts from events I helped direct.  Also, on the white squares are hand written notes from students & leaders.  Each week, when I arrive to a new host home, place my quilt on top of my bed.

Charley
Each Monday morning, I bungee down a Kermit-the-Frog-stuffed-animal, on the front of my cart.  I nicknamed him "Charley," my traveling buddy.  Charley was given to me by my grandparents when I was a little kid, and it reminds me to "have fun" on this journey & of course my gramps.  Earlier in the journey, Charley was attacked by a dog --- Blog post here.  Also, here is the blog post that inspired me to name him "Charley". 

Technology
Thanks to technology, one of the things that helps me remain consistent on this journey, is the ability to talk with friends and family VIA cell phone and SKYPE.  I am constantly encouraged, challenged and loved by them.  This was me in Kelley, Iowa... I wanted to call my mother, however I didn't have any change.

My Coffee Mug
I love coffee.  I love this ceramic-mug.  Was given to me by fiance.  She got it in Turkey.  Each week in traveling, I wrap it in bubble wrap and then cover it in a cloth.  In new coffee shops, using this mug helps bring consistency to the new places I visit.  I gave up coffee for Lent, so I used it for Tea.  It is funny how many people "dig" my mug.

Common Prayer Book
Each morning, and sometimes evenings, I follow a Common Prayer Book.  Amidst changing surroundings, each day I am re-centered on what I believe matters most, The Creator.




No comments:

Post a Comment