Friday, August 10, 2012

One year later...

One year ago, I stepped down from my job as the Middle School Director at Sunnybrook Community Church in Sioux City Iowa.  

staff lunch to say goodbye to Jim

I loved my job.  I had been there for four years.  In fact, it was a job using my degree I received from college.  


Why?


To pursue a dream formulated the three previous years:

To run and speak across the state of Iowa.



Before I stepped down from my position, I shared my dream with several others...

Many shared encouraging words.

Many shared concerns.


I too, was concerned.  Asking myself the questions, "Are you crazy?  Are you having a quarter-life crisis?  Is this what God really wants you to do?"

I was very afraid of the "unknown."  

I really liked my job.


I asked questions like "Would I be able to support myself?" 

OR would I be standing on the side of the street begging for money.




A year has passed.


My financial needs are met.

I'm healthy.

I've experienced some tough moments on the journey, but I'm happy in knowing I'm pursuing what I'm called to do. 

I have several people who daily encouraging, support and praying for me.



Part of me, wants to be like Usain Bolt who silenced the crowd after he won the 200 meter dash.  I want to silence my critics who said "You can't do this running and speaking gig, it doesn't make sense for an adult to do this, it's not normal."


 But the truth is, I don't want to silence my critics.  I don't want to tell them, "Hey, I told you I would be okay, or I knew God will provide for me."

Rather, I'm going to thank the Creator for giving me the ability to run and speak, and I'm going to continue on this journey, using my story to inspire, challenge & equip others to discover and do what God is calling them to do.

Running passionately...
Running purposefully...
Running with beautiful feet...
Running with endurance...
Running towards the goal...

In every step,

Jim



"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."  Jeremiah 29:11 (ESV)


5 comments:

  1. Holy cucumbers, Jim.
    Man . . . I needed to read that. I recently resigned from a job that I'd done for nearly 9 years. I left on good terms, but was so burned out and disillusioned with the field that I could no longer "play the game." So after giving a month's notice, I left. No game plan. No backup. Just a belief that my creator's "got this." Thank you for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving my job was super tough too. I really enjoyed it, and transitioned out well too... but I knew I was being called in a new direction, and for me to not follow that direction would keep me from doing what i knew I was supposed to do. It's tough, cause often the desire for "comfortable" quenches what God has in store for us. Often times, its risky, and it makes us lean on the Creator more than ever before. It's not easy, and during those uneasy times, I've learned I grow in who I'm created to be.

      Delete
  2. keep those beautiful feet running for Jesus, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy,
    Feeling the same way you did one year ago. Thanks for the post.
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck, I would enjoy chilling with you in the near future... perhaps before I get married?

      Delete