Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Home is where the heart is

Drinking a cup of coffee at Toad's w/ Trisket


During my stay in Spencer Iowa, I was able to frequent Toad's Coffee Shop, one of my favorite coffee shops.  Unique, has character, freshly-roasted-coffee and the people are grand.  

A freshly made Americano.  The foam on top is a result of fresh espresso shots. 



They slow roast their own coffee beans.

Coffee Roaster in progress.  It was a pleasure writing for a day next to this machine roasting coffee

Espresso coffee with whipped cream on top, delicious!!!



Early on in my stay in Spencer, I asked the owner of Toad's Coffee for an opportunity to share stories and have others play music at their establishment.   Of course, they agreed and moved some furniture around to accommodate.  


On Friday evening, people showed up: some friends and some local community members.  Some played music, others read poetry and some shared stories.  

Mark, Margareta and Zach playing music



The stories I shared were based around some topics I was contemplating & wrestling with: the questions of "What is home?  What makes a home?  Where is home?"


You see, being on the road for six weeks and knowing I will continue for many more, this topic has been heavily on my mind.  


Here is a 20 minute video of the stories I shared from my different "Homes," and my conclusion to the questions asked.  Enjoy, and feel free to comment on this post with your own response to the aforementioned questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment