Monday, February 20, 2012

Running Recap #6 - Storm Lake



Start Time :  730am  End Time : 300pm

Weather : 30 degrees.  SE winds.  

Number of Dogs who barked and chased me:  1

Total Mileage : 26 miles (was scheduled to run 40... bad weather)



Left Spencer early this morning.  I was aware that the weather was going to be rainy and windy.  Wasn't expecting it till later, but I started getting poured on after my stop in Sioux Rapids (20 miles into my run).  Had several things going against me today: the wind coming from the South, no shoulder on Highway 71 to run on, the rain/slush and extra weight of T-shirts I'm selling along the way.

I was about 6 miles past Sioux Rapids, and I had just passed Rembrandt Iowa, and the wind and rain was fierce.  Was wearing my waterproof gear and it was soaked.  I had already changed once.  I remember wanting to stop, and usually when I want to stop pushing my cart, it means that I haven't eaten enough food.  So, I stopped and ate some food, and came to the realization that the conditions I was running in weren't safe.

I stopped on the side of the highway and found shelter behind my cart.  Took off my rain drenched gloves, and the wind didn't help make them any warmer.  Called my emergency contact, and asked them to come pick me up.  As I was on the phone, the Sheriff stopped by.  He let me sit in his car.  We had some great conversation.  

I look back on today, and am glad I stopped.  Once again, I am reminded that this trip isn't about putting myself in danger, but rather being smart so I can continue the journey I am on.







NEXT RUN will be next Monday.  I will be running from Storm Lake to Sac City.   

Cool story from my run today:  Even though the weather was terribly today, I was encouraged greatly by the kindness of the Sheriff I was able to interact at the end of my run.  One funny thing from the day, several people called in to the Sheriff saying "There is a lady pushing a baby down the highway."  It made me chuckle.




No comments:

Post a Comment