Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Simplify Your Life Into a Bag

20 days till the AMS journey begins

All of my possessions I will use for a year are on THIS cart.

clothes bag, first aid kit, food kit, computer bag, book bag and CHARLEY

A couple months ago, the movie 180 Degrees South was highly recommended by my brother.  So I watched it on Netflix.

A quote by Yvon Chouinard, stuck with me:
The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life.  It's so easy to make it complex.   

I agree with Yvon.  It is tough to simplify one's life.  For me, these last couple months have been a struggle:  

What should I bring on a year long trek across Iowa? 

What shouldn't I bring?


All my clothes I will use for a year are in this bag
Button up shirt, short sleeve collared shirt, khakis, jeans, 5 pairs of socks/underwear, sweater

I've narrowed my library of books down to 5 books.
One of the books I'm taking.  One of my favorite books.
I've narrowed my coffee mugs down to my favorite mug.
a gift from Turkey

I'm taking the bare essentials.


If you had to pack all of your belongings on a cart, what would you pack?


This has been one of the toughest things for me to do.  So many things I want to take with me, like my Sega Genesis and TV, my records, my desk and my bed.

As I have had to simplify my possessions, it has required me to think and really ask the question What do I need?

This is something we all must wrestle with, especially with the holiday season upon us.  What do we need to be happy? 
Possessions?  

Money?  

Traditions?  


Quality Time?  



As I have wrestled with this, amidst the simplifying of my physical possessions, I have come to the conclusion the things in life that are most important, are not things... but rather time with family, friends and faith.  


May you be inspired to simplify your life, or realize that the things you have aren't what life is all about.


In the grand scheme of life, maybe the things we possess or try to obtain, are in fact what distracts us from the relationships that are of utmost importance. 


The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life.  It's so easy to make it complex. 



1 comment:

  1. "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Einstein

    "You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away" - de Saint-Exupery

    Thanks for the message of simplification that we can all use in our lives.

    ReplyDelete