Tuesday, December 13, 2011

You are better than that

A pic of me next to the dorm I lived in at Northwestern College

When I was in college, one of my professors called me in to their office.

I wasn't really sure what my professor was calling me in for.

I went in, sat down and my professor asked me, "How long did you spend on the paper you turned in yesterday?"

I answered honestly, "I wrote it last night."

My professor proceeded to read out loud my paper to me.

It was painful, hearing what I created read out loud.  I knew what I created was junk, and the reason I turned in junk was cause I was never challenged not to turn in junk.  Meaning, I wrote a lot of cruddy papers, but no one ever called me out on it, like this professor did.

At the end of it, my professor said, "You are better than this."

Deep down I knew I was better than the effort I put forth, much better, I just needed someone to make me aware of it.

The same applies to all facets of our lives.  There are areas where we are much better than the effort we put forth.


What keeps us from being better?

I like being comfortable, no tension arising.  

Risk.

The easy way out truly is the easy way out.


When my professor pointed out that I was better than this, I knew I was better, and I wanted to be better, and I became better.

Maybe you need to step up and tell someone they are better than the effort they put forth, or maybe you need to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment