Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It Takes Two to Hospitality

During my run to Iowa City I ran past an area called the "Amana Colonies."

I was intrigued by this sign.  I remember stopping and looking at it, and wondering "What are the Amana Colonies?"

The next day, after my long day of running, I got on Google and looked up "Amana Colonies."  Thanks to Wikipedia, I was able to find some info about them.

Below is something that caught my eye about their colonies.
Amana was known for its hospitality towards outsiders. Members would never turn a person in need away. They would feed and shelter hobos that would pass through on the train. Some would even be hired as laborers. They would receive good wages, a permit home for the length of their stay and three meals a day in the communal kitchen. Hobos were not the only outside help. Amana would hire many outside laborers to do industrial and agricultural jobs. They worked in the woolen shop, the calico-printing shop or one of the many others.
This intrigued me.  It is obvious Hospitality was very important to this community.

As I journey across the state of Iowa, hospitality has been something I have experienced in new and different ways each week.  So far I have been hosted by 18 families, welcomed into their communities, and their homes.

Eating Pizza with my Sioux City host family

Welcomed warmly in Kingsley

Welcomed warmly in Orange City


Leaving Sanborn to Spencer, and nice little sign

In Fort Dodge, was blessed by a wondeful family, they made me an amazing meal

In Ames, got to visit Hickory Park with my host family.

In Pella, hosted by some amazing people

Iowa is hospitable.  
This is what I've learned so far:


  • "It Takes Two to Hospitality."  It goes both ways.

You have "The Receiver" and "The Giver."  Both are equally important to hospitality.

If you are "The Giver" you have to be willing to open up your home, open up who you are to the one you wish to show hospitality to.

If you are "The Receiver" you have to be willing to push aside your pride of "I can do it by myself" or "I don't need the help of others."

One thing I am discovering as I journey across Iowa, the art of hospitality is not dead, and it is a very beautiful thing.  Both ends of hospitality learn from the shared experience, and both grow.

As I was staying in Storm Lake, the family I was hosted with mentioned how they would open their open to strangers, and at first I was thinking "What about the safety of your kids."  They said, "We are smart when we open our home to people, and at the same time, we feel the need to be hospitable to all people, and sometimes we pray and hope our hospitality will be both a learning experience for us and for the person staying with us."

I was reminded of the time when I lived in Sioux City Iowa.  I lived with several roommates, and one night one of the roommates decided to house two guys who were living on the streets.

At first, I was terrified, and full of fear:  I could only see the news headlines the next day, "Several people murdered by two homeless guys."

However, nothing happened, we enjoyed their company, and then they went on their way.

I remember when they were leaving, and thinking, "At first I was scared, but then I realized there was nothing to worry about."

It's almost like there is this fear when it comes to opening our homes up these days.  From what I have learned, opening your home is a huge learning opportunity.  In that specific experience, I grew tremendously in what it meant to be hospitable to fellow human beings.

Like I said, "It Takes Two to Hospitality."

No comments:

Post a Comment