Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Stepping out of your comfort zone


On Friday I got to speak at Grinnell Mutual.

It happens to be the nation's largest reinsurance company.  To be honest, I didn't know what a reinsurance company was; in fact I didn't even know they existed.  Pretty much, they are insurance companies for insurance companies.  
  
It has over 700 employees and has been established as a business for over a century, founded in 1909.
Outside of the Grinnell Mutual building
Normally, I speak to students.  If you are wondering, my favorite age group happens to be middle school students.  Some people might find that crazy, but it's true.

Speaking to middle school students earlier in the week in Grinnell
 When I was asked to come speak at Grinnell Mutual, I welcomed the opportunity.  You see, I welcome all speaking opportunities. 

It was an opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and grow.  So I did. 

Walking around the pond at Grinnell Mutual.  They really take care of their workers.(pic by Dan McCue) 
And yes, it was very uncomfortable.  Especially the days leading up to speaking at Grinnell Mutual.  I would go by their building and think "Wow!  That's a big building, what could I possibly share to inspire challenge and equip their employees?"

I went and spoke.  It went really well.  The people laughed at my stories, asked good questions, and hopefully were challenged.  I gave it my all.  That's all I could do.

It challenged me to step outside of the normal routine, and as a result, I grew, and know I have the experience of speaking to business-minded adults.

Some SWAG from Grinnell Mutual.  Woot!!!
Some pointers about stepping out of your comfort zone

:Be yourself:
YOU are the best thing about you.  No one is like you, use that to your advantage.  I went into Grinnell Mutual being confident with myself.  I didn't try to be someone I wasn't.  I'm a runner and speaker who happens to be running and speaking across the state of Iowa.  I didn't try to pretend I knew things about business.  I was myself, and it worked out really well.

:Prepare Well and accept the possibility of failure:
Whatever you are talking on, or sharing about, prepare well.  Put forth your best effort.  This applies to every new, exciting, risky and unknown endeavor.  You may fail, but at least you put forth your best.

:Welcome New Opportunities:
Be ready for new and "not-normal" opportunities.  Welcome them.  They help you to not be so stagnant.  Shake things up a bit.  Do things you don't normally do.


After sharing about the Awake My Sole journey, some people from the group walked around the pond
 
What opportunity is beckoning you?  

Maybe it's speaking to middle school students.

No comments:

Post a Comment