Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Iowa City Wrap Up & Davenport Running Recap

Iowa City Wrap Up

Was blessed by my time in Iowa City.  Really enjoyed being around the college culture and crowd.  Also enjoyed eating Chipotle twice during my stay in Iowa City.

Got to speak 9 times.  

Was speaking at an elementary school close to where I was being hosted, and before speaking to a first grade class, a student said, "I know who you are... you are Tom Petty."  I looked at him in amazement that he knew who Tom Petty was, chuckled, made eye contact with his teacher, we both chuckled, and then I said, "No, I'm not Tom Petty, I'm Shaggy from Scooby Doo."  

Speaking at the Iowa Mennonite School.  Great students, staff and facility.

Thursday's Run along the River.  Some ducks chilling on the bank.

Thursday's run was filled with beautiful flowers.  One of my favorite things while running is the smell of flowers.


Spoke at Roosevelt school all day.  Great kiddos.
To transition from Iowa City to Davenport, both my host family in Iowa City and my host family in Davenport have French Press Coffee makers, and I have been blessed to brew coffee with their french presses.  I miss my french press.


Davenport Running Recap

Start Time:  6:30a  End Time: 8:30p
  • Total Mileage: 54.5 miles
  • Experienced my first "mudding" experience.  Pushed my cart for mud for a mile.  Took about an hour.  
  • Listened to Denver-based band "The Lumineers" three times.  
  • Weather:  Was supposed to rain most of the morning, but didn't get wet at all.  Morning was filled with overcast skies, and the afternoon was middle 70's.  Great running weather. 
  • Felt very good finishing the run today.  Before the run, was well rested.  Also felt good about pushing my 150-pound-cart too.  
  • Accidentally ingested 3 bugs.
  • Number of dogs who chased me: 6
  • Number of cops who stopped me: 0

Saying "good-bye" to Iowa City

Morning clouds outside of Iowa City

Iowa wetlands area

Yup.  Probably shouldn't have ran on this road.  A bit muddy.

 A cool old bridge

Drinking a slurpee with salt mixed in.  A good way to replenish electrolytes and to cool the body down.  

Resting my feet up for the last stretch into Davenport.

Entering into Davenport city limits.  Still had about 6 miles to go.

Saying "good-bye" to the sun.  A beautiful day for running. 




I listened to this band's new album 3 times yesterday.  Another good product of Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment