Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When your water freezes... you know it's cold

Yesterday (Monday), I journeyed from Kingsley to Orange City Iowa.  (B to A)



All day, I fought a NW headwind of 20mph with a temperature of around 20 degrees.  Not sure what the "feels like" temperature was, but I'm guessing it was near zero.

I was cold.  Very cold.  Wore 4-5 layers on top, 5 layers on bottom, 4 layers on feet, 2 layers on hands, and snowboarding goggles with a face covering.

Me with all my layers rolling into Orange City Iowa.  

About an hour into my daylong 34.1 mile trek, my water froze.


On call was my emergency contact, but I couldn't get a hold of them when I called.  I wasn't terribly worried, however I was starting to think, I need to get some liquids soon.

I was running on county highway K64 and a vehicle drove by me.  It turned around, drove back and stopped right next to me.   An elderly man in his 70's or 80's asked me, "What are you doing?"

I said, "I'm running across the state of Iowa."

He said, "Do you realize how cold it is?"

My response, "Yes, I do.... you don't happen to live close by so I can get some water, 'cause mine is frozen."

He said, "Yup, I live close by, we can load your cart on the back of my truck, get you some water, and then get you back on the road."

He jumped out, grabbed a hold of my cart on one side, me on the other and we began to lift the cart.  We weren't anticipating the weight of the cart, and the cart tipped back, and all my belonging toppled off the cart.  My first aid kid and other stuff, burst open and started blowing away in the wind gusts.

I was flustered and bummed, also worried about my computer that was on the cart, and other precious things.

The man said, "So sorry, I was only trying to help, and now I've just made it worse."

I kept saying, "It's okay, not a big deal," but deep inside I felt I shouldn't have stopped and should have just kept moving, and waited till my emergency contact called.

After finally getting my stuff gathered from the topple, I found myself sitting in his warm passenger seat.   My emergency contact called me and said they were able to bring me water several miles down the road at Oyens.  I told the man I had someone bringing me water, and I would need a ride to that point.

He drove me to the intersection outside Oyens.


In traveling to the intersection, I was blessed greatly by the conversation I was able to have with him.

I asked him "What do you do?"

He said, "I'm a wood worker, I work with wood.  Will work with wood as long as I am able to."

I said, "That's awesome, have you always done that?"

He said, "Yup.  Own a wood shop and have always done this, I'm actually taking some wood to a high school in a nearby town for their woodworking class."


He then showed me a picture of his family, and I shared my pictures.


I was inspired by him.  It was evident that he loved woodworking and his family.  It was neat seeing him in his old-age still doing the thing he loves to do, maybe not as extensive as when he was a younger man, but was still connected to the thing he found meaning and purpose in.

When I left his vehicle, he gave me his number and said, "Give me a call tonight so I don't stay up worrying about you."

I shook his hand, and said, "I really enjoyed our conversation, and enjoyed meeting you on the road today."


My trek across Iowa isn't about me running across Iowa, but more about hearing and sharing stories about other people who have discovered what they love to do, and are actually doing it.

Until next time...

Running with purpose in every step,

Jim





No comments:

Post a Comment