Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A New Path

The last 1.5 years of my life, I lived in the Morningside Area of Sioux City, near the Walgreens and Sunkist Bakery.


Often, I would take runs through this area.

For those of you who are familiar with the area, you are familiar with the roads:  Glenn, Lakeport and Morningside.  I too, am very familiar with the aforementioned roads.

This last week, I stayed with my Sioux City host family.  (side note: they were awesome and very hospitable, and loved staying with them).

My host family lived by a street named Aubin St.  A street that connects Glenn and Morningside.



I was never aware of Aubin St.  In my last couple years of running around the Morningside Area, I never ran down Aubin St.

The funny thing, it was there all along.  It would have been a perfect square for a good run.

I discovered that this new Aubin street connected Glen and Morningside when I was getting a ride home from a speaking engagement, and the person drove down Glenn, turned right at Aubin St.

I asked my driver, "Has this road always been here?"

He said, "Yeah, it has always been here."


A new path, always there, but never discovered by my running legs.  I was a bit bummed.

It's kind of like the paths we all choose, they are there, but sometimes we might be completely unaware of them.

Running across Iowa is my new path.  What lies ahead is unknown.  I do know "who I am" and "what I do," has been developed and influenced by other paths I've run on.  Paths that have intersected with other's paths.


Today, may you be open to the paths that are there and you are unaware of them.  May you also be open to the paths that are there, and you are deliberately choosing not to go down them.  Take a step on a new path, and see what happens.

"A journey is a person itself, no two are alike.  And all plans, safeguards, policing and coercion are fruitless.  We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us."  John Steinbeck



No comments:

Post a Comment