Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Aimlessly against Time --- "Yup, gonna get old, and one day leave this earth."

Was able to speak to a guy's dorm at Northwestern College this last week during my week-long stay in Orange City.

Loved the sign Ryan (the RD) put up. 


There were about 20 of us.  We gathered around in a circle on fold-out chairs, drinking tea and eating garlic bread (a good combo for the stomach).   

My goal wasn't to speak at the guys and then leave, but more or less, have a conversation, directing and guiding the discussion.

I shared about the Awake My Sole trek, and then listened to them.  I loved the words shared, especially the honesty shared.  

Some shared about "the fear of not knowing what they were gonna do after college" and others shared about "the balance of responsibilities and fun."

One thing mentioned clung to my inner core: an idea shared of "How we spend our time."


How do you spend your time?

Is there purpose in it?  

Do you rest?  

Do you rest, with purpose?


Since the discussion, I've wrestled deeply with this idea.  It seems as if people get an idea or false illusion that we will live forever on this earth in our physical bodies.    

Some are confronted with the death of a loved one or friend, or see death on the news and are reminded of the finality of life.


I want my life, my short time here on earth to be something that was done well.

I don't want to waist my time.  


Do you?


Later in the week, I was able to visit some wonderful people over at the nursing home in Orange City.  I love listening to stories, and I love being around older people, cause I'm often reminded of where I am heading.  

Yup, gonna get old, and one day leave this earth.  

I don't mean to sound dark and grim, but when we realize we are all against time, it may spark a desire to live with more purpose and meaning.  Maybe we will come to a realization to not be wasting our time aimlessly.  

I'm not suggesting we don't REST, but when we do rest, to really rest, schedule it out, so it actually feels like rest.

May you begin to wrestle with this idea.  May you be challenged to begin thinking "am I aimlessly wasting my time?"  May you live well.  

What are your thoughts?  

Feel free to comment on this blog, or Email AwakeMySole@gmail.com








No comments:

Post a Comment